Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3/7/18 Off the Hill Conditions

Default 3/7/18 Off the Hill Conditions

As usual it's a Day to Day Change. Unloaded in Mapledale , if not for the Tuesday nite snow we would have reloaded, Rideable but wet in spots got better as we got about 5 miles out, headed North, at the intersection of Western or Star Hill we went towards Star Hill, Much better, at the intersection of Alder Creek / Western we headed towards Alder Creek, Good Choice ,then over to Forestport and up to WigWam EXELLENT Choice, over to the Brandy Lake Trail EXELLENT also ,Over to Boonville, EXELLENT, Now the trail by the Motel that leads to West Leyden poor snow coverage but rideable, about 4-5 miles up snow increased but NO grooming, hard to find the trails, gas in West Leyden then back to Mapledale, NO grooming PLENTY of SNOW, again trails were not visible most of the way,In Western we went up the hill towards Mapledale, I believe this is a Penn Mountain Trail, WE believe they should have put a CLOSED or ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK sign on this trail , all the way back there were branches down maybe since the 3/1/18 storm, PLENTY OF SNOW ( we were Pushing sno most of the way ) I haven't seen a trail this bad in YEARS !! 120 miles at least TRACKSIDE TRAILBLAZERS made our day worth it, Thank You to Them, I was a PENN MOUNTAIN Member till Now.

Quote Originally Posted by RKW View Post
    As usual it's a Day to Day Change. Unloaded in Mapledale , if not for the Tuesday nite snow we would have reloaded, Rideable but wet in spots got better as we got about 5 miles out, headed North, at the intersection of Western or Star Hill we went towards Star Hill, Much better, at the intersection of Alder Creek / Western we headed towards Alder Creek, Good Choice ,then over to Forestport and up to WigWam EXELLENT Choice, over to the Brandy Lake Trail EXELLENT also ,Over to Boonville, EXELLENT, Now the trail by the Motel that leads to West Leyden poor snow coverage but rideable, about 4-5 miles up snow increased but NO grooming, hard to find the trails, gas in West Leyden then back to Mapledale, NO grooming PLENTY of SNOW, again trails were not visible most of the way,In Western we went up the hill towards Mapledale, I believe this is a Penn Mountain Trail, WE believe they should have put a CLOSED or ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK sign on this trail , all the way back there were branches down maybe since the 3/1/18 storm, PLENTY OF SNOW ( we were Pushing sno most of the way ) I haven't seen a trail this bad in YEARS !! 120 miles at least TRACKSIDE TRAILBLAZERS made our day worth it, Thank You to Them, I was a PENN MOUNTAIN Member till Now.
    But were you an active Penn mountain member until now? Did you send them a message about the trail problems? Iíve always found them to be very responsive when Iíve sent them Facebook messages in the past. They appreciate rider feedback in regards to trail problems.

Default 3/7/18

I try to ride out of Mapledale as much as I can, the past couple of years have not been good, SNOW or NO SNOW, I used to praise Penn Mountain what happened ??

Leadership that does not realize that trail maintenance is the purpose of trail maintenance entities.

Quote Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
    Leadership that does not realize that trail maintenance is the purpose of trail maintenance entities.
    Has the leadership changed in the last couple of years? Iím not familiar with the inner workings of the club.

Well, I had a post on here this morning about how Penn Mountain commented on trees down on trails from 2 days ago, on their FB page. Not sure what happened to it.
    But, check with a club whose trails you plan on using-especially this time of year-before venturing out onto them.
    We had 3-4 days of SUMMER weather here, and it was pretty much like starting over. Copied from Penn Mtn.'s page, 3/3:
    Did a little grooming last night. Remsen area got done, and steuben to barneveld.
    Lots trees, and some big water holes....
    May do more areas today, but we have some major wet areas that will most like be too bad to get through.
    ... Be careful out there!!

J
    ust checked Southern Tug Hill, some of their trails are CLOSED. You may or may not see that on here; check multiple locations especially if you have a long drive to get here.
    https://www.facebook.com/SouthernTug...61802543851772
    Last edited by HI-MILER; 03-08-2018 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by orangef7 View Post
    Has the leadership changed in the last couple of years? Iím not familiar with the inner workings of the club.
    Which club?

Default 3/7/18 Off the Hill Ride

I & others try to check all trail conditions before going out !! It is very hard to get Trail Reports !! This is one reason I post on here so someone doesn't go thru the same SH-- I went thru !!!t GOOD or BAD ,,HERE or THERE

Default Facebook

I follow about 10 different club pages on Facebook. That is the best place for info hands down. Every morning they post if they have groomed and where . Updates on closings and hazards also. I just come here for the entertainment 😁

Quote Originally Posted by HI-MILER View Post
    Which club?
    Penn Mountain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast