Thread: 3/9 Ride - Hanifin Corners - Camp 4 - Tabolts Corners - Highmarket

Default 3/9 Ride - Hanifin Corners - Camp 4 - Tabolts Corners - Highmarket

My Second try at posting this report. I put wrong pixs in first attempt.

Met up with Pompey1 and his bud Mark and dropped at Hanfin Conrers (Hanifin Rd) around 9 a.m.. New snow atop all the trails today. From 2-4”. 46 Corners, Houlahan and County Line Rd are very bumpy. I was told TC Riders is planning on hitting the northern sections of their trails tonight. North of County Line up thru Swancott Mills was brutal. Bumps & whoops.

Camp 4 north from Swancott Mills was OUTSTANDING! Flat with some bumps in corners. Michigan Mills the same. North-South Rd was nice around 11, a bit bumpy on our 2nd run thru at 3. Same with the G&W railroad bed to Tabolts Corners.

The #9 road was bumpy. the North Rd and McGoldrick in & out of Highmarket was very nice. Plmber Rd to Whiskey Jacks was in good shape, despite all the traffic. Very heavy amount of sleds today. Ran into the DEC’s Tahoe on the Moore Rd at Plmber. Talked with the lady ranger and the truck is equipped for emergency transport with backboard and such. I rather ride out in that if I was hurt than on a tow sled!

A DEC’er on a sled on the paved MacKay Rd was looking, (Pompey1 thought), for sleds running the stop signs, where the trail crosses McKay. On the way back the DEC Tahoe and two LEO’s on sleds had 8-10 sleds stopped and all three were writing tickets. The DEC Tahoe moved and was on McGoldrick as an LEO on a sled was shooting radar from a little hill in the trees.

We tried the Camp 2 Rd but gave up as the first mile was very whooped up. The G&W RR bed had snow drifts along the straightaway thru the marsh.

Southern Tug had a groomer parked at Barrows. Back to the rigs on Hanifin RD at 5:45 with 129.7-miles on my odometer.

There’s lots of snow up there. Heck it was lightly snowing all day up there. Not much love for the DEC’s Tahoe from folks at Highmarket & Barrows. If they’re worried about losing customers, well the knuckleheads would be replaced by families & guys like me. The only reason I went up on a Friday was good snow.

And there were knuckleheads out. I had 5-sleds cut the same corner on the N-S Rd and they were 1-foot off my left ski.
    And another hot shot all decked out in a safety green Ninja outfit on a same colored sled try to give me a hand signal from the middle of the trail neqr the Michigan Rd parking lot, and promptly veered right at me.

And the sleds screaming thru Tabolts Corners with folks not stopping off the RR bed and the #9 Rd, well go ahead an put a four way stop at this intersection. It needs it.

North of County Line
    Name:  IMG_6687.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  21.1 KB

Swancott Mills
    Name:  IMG_6688.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  17.2 KB

Turning onto N-S Rd from Michigan Mills.
    Name:  IMG_6690.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  24.7 KB

Number 9 to the North Rd.
    Name:  IMG_6693.jpg
Views: 793
Size:  19.0 KB
    Last edited by oko; 03-09-2018 at 08:05 PM.
    Cranky ol' white dude.

Default More pixs

DEC snow cruiser
    Name:  IMG_6694.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  23.6 KB

Name:  IMG_6695.jpg
Size:  20.3 KB

Snowing good at Highmarket
    Name:  IMG_6696.jpg
Size:  23.5 KB

New snow depth at Michigan Mills parking lot.
    Name:  IMG_6697.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  17.3 KB

Tying to keep the new snow off the map.
    Name:  IMG_6720.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  22.9 KB
    Cranky ol' white dude.

Default Some more...

Camp 4
    Name:  IMG_6721.jpg
Size:  18.2 KB

Tabolt's Corners
    Name:  IMG_6725.jpg
Size:  20.7 KB

Where N-S meets G&W RR bed.
    Name:  IMG_6730.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  24.8 KB

New & pristine snow on Camp 4, south of Camp 2.
    Name:  IMG_6732.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  13.3 KB

A bunch of rigs dropped as we loaded up on
    Hanifin Rd (Corners)
    Name:  IMG_6783.jpg
Size:  25.8 KB
    Cranky ol' white dude.

What's the story on the section you called brutal between county line and swancott mills. It has been that way every time I have gone that way for the last few years.
    For a year or 2 prior TC was grooming it and it was nice, but since it fell back onto STH it has been consistently terrible. Anyone know what the story is?

Quote Originally Posted by 600SDI View Post
    What's the story on the section you called brutal between county line and swancott mills. It has been that way every time I have gone that way for the last few years.
    For a year or 2 prior TC was grooming it and it was nice, but since it fell back onto STH it has been consistently terrible. Anyone know what the story is?
    same story this year. My vote is for TC to take it over to swancott mills road.
    Tri-Valley Trail Riders

Quote Originally Posted by DareDog View Post
    same story this year. My vote is for TC to take it over to swancott mills road.
    It's in a different county for TC which makes it a PITA to get funded for.
    What if STH just groomed that trail like they do the the rest of them??
    Would that be too much to ask??

It's in a different county for TC which makes it a PITA to get funded for.
    What if STH just groomed that trail like they do the the rest of them??
    Would that be too much to ask??
    T/C is supposed to be taking it over. They are currently working on that funding issue. In this situation it helps that Lewis County is a County TME instead of individual clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Drift Breaker View Post
    T/C is supposed to be taking it over. They are currently working on that funding issue. In this situation it helps that Lewis County is a County TME instead of individual clubs.
    Glad to hear someone is working on it.
    But I don't get why STH doesn't just groom their own trail??

Glad to hear someone is working on it.
    But I don't get why STH doesn't just groom their own trail??
    Good question.....